Sorry about the drab technical term. There's no better way to describe it. This is a recipe for taking whipping cream and give it a little UMPH! to help it last through a long weekend or a hot summer picnic or survive under the weight of a layered triffle. Basically, it's just regular whipped cream fortified with a little gelatin. This recipe makes it really stout. It's the baker's equivalent of three cans of hairspray on your hairdo. It's your secret battle plan.
You can find unflavored gelatin either with the Jello or sometimes with the baking stuff like yeast.
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Chill the mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using.
2. Place water in small microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Let the gelatin soften for 5 minutes
3. Dissolve the gelatin by microwaving for a minute at very low power 30% power. You may need to hit it again. The trick is to get the gelatin dissolved but not hot. Let it stand until it's room temperature but still liquid.
4. Put the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in the cold bowl and start mixing it until the cream starts to set up and shows marks.
5. Add the gelatin slowly, beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form.
6. Use immediately.