How to Use this Blog

This blog is designed to be used like a cookbook. I've put tags on each recipe so you can go to the section on that topic just by clicking on the word in the cloud or the list. Some recipes are under more than one category to help you find what you're looking for.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Party Mix

The recipe for this is actually on any box of Wheat Chex cereal.  Christmas is the only time of year I buy this cereal and I really do wonder if anyone eats it as a cereal anymore.  I've adapted the recipe for my own personal tastes.  I've eliminated the Corn Chex, for instance, because I thought was a bland mix with all those chex in there.  Instead I added more nuts.  Less pretzels and more Goldfish snacks.  I also took the same ingredients for the sauce that gives it its flavor and added/subtracted.  Do your own improvisation.  Just keep the same mixture of sauce to snacks:

Sauce:
stick of butter melted in a sauce pan
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
combine all this.

Then gather 12 cups of stuff and put it in a BIG roasting pan.  I use the turkey roaster. It doesn't matter what you use as long as you keep to the 12 cups proportions:

3cups of Wheat Chex
3 cups nuts (I use cashews)
3 cups of more nuts (pecans)
small package of Goldfish crackers

pour the sauce over this, mixing well.  It will be soggy.  Put the roasting pan in the oven at a low temperature.  200-250 degrees.

Sir every 15 minutes or so.  When it's dry you can add some sweet stuff like honey roasted peanuts.  This kind of balances the flavor.

I've found this to be great for parties but also a great gift you can mail.  Put in a big ziplock bag and it won't need too much cushioning material to get it safely across the US in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment